Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Psst. Thank You.

In addition to my full time job at the art factory with benefits, 401K and reserved parking, I am now officially a freelance automotive journalist for a range of auto websites. I can't tell you what sites, because they haven't made that clear to me at this time. You think I care? I'd write for Taliban Car and Driver.

I am aware that Ben posted an April Fool's day article suggesting that I'm moving on to greener, CO2 emitting pastures, and I have to admit, I was swept away in the fantasy.

Well, thank you Ben for articulating a dream I was too timid to name. It's a small thing. If you're interested, I'll let you know when my articles get published. I'll be writing primarily on the most mundane elements of car ownership, such as stick shifts and safety belts, in a tone reserved for the 7th grade audio-visual lab, circa 1972. Not complaining. Yet.

How it happened: Ethan sent me the post from craigslist, Matthew Kennedy nudged and coached me through the process. He reminded me to follow up after a week of no reply, even though I didn't want to. Then BAM! they sent me an application. I filled it out, I wrote an article on how to change your oil. In addition, I submitted the previous post as writing sample number 2. Twelve hours after I hit send, they sent me an email welcoming me to the company.

I am keeping my present art career as it is. I am also going to keep up the blogitude.

This job is not going to get me a new gate for the mansion, or even a fake rock to hide the key. The pay is measured in cheetos. As a car nut, I see this as a paid education and suddenly all the twists and turns of my life thus far seem to make a little more sense right now. The message I'm getting is, stay open, even if your heart can't seem to see past lunch. I have all of you, my friends to thank for it. Friendship is the free exchange of support and inspiration, and in this area, I am a wealthy man.

*****

For your listening pleasure, Cake.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Congrads. . Yirks! That's the bizness. . Way to make the cheetos. . .I feel like a bad partner that hasn't been contributing to our Bloglationship. I'll post up tomorrows. . .
xo
B

Tina said...

Looking for ways to get through addiction and criminal charges can be difficlut. Getting misdemeanor sentencing could be the best thing you can get.