Tuesday, January 20, 2009

24 hour and something toilet flush. . .LA to SF to LA

The blogitude got together on Friday night this past weekend as you’ve all read and then the next day I began a whirly toilet flush of a trip.. .

Saturday
8:05 a.m. Wake up and finish reading the Passion for Book club.
11:10 a.m. Book Club starts
12 p.m. Meet up with my ride to Long Beach Airport to fly up to San Francisco.
3:45 p.m. Touch down in S.F. Make calls to gallery and friends that I’ll be meeting up with shortly.
4:00 p.m. Get on BART.
5-7 p.m. Pack large concrete sculptures and other artworks.


7:45 p.m. Meet up with my friend Reece.
8 p.m. Go to dinner at some fancy Cinema indoor-outdoor space. Good food. I have a Chimay. Nice small talk and at one point we discuss taking dumps and farting.
9:30 p.m. Say goodbye to gallery owner and her girlfriend. Reece and I head to the Attic.
9:45 p.m. My friend Tim shows up. I haven’t seen him in over 9 years and the last time was in San Francisco.
10:30 p.m. Another guy named Tim buys me a Guinness and the bartender draws a shamrock in it with a goldfish (cracker.)
10:32 p.m. I am informed that Guinness has lower calories and alcohol content than a majority of beers. I am bummed.
10:35 p.m. We leave the bar to go to a graduate art school party.
11:15 p.m. After Tim gets pizza and we spend 20 minutes looking for a corner store and then another 10 minutes looking for parking we find the party.
11:16 p.m. - 12:05 a.m. Tim and I hang out on the sidewalk in front of the party and Tim smokes a joint and I pass a bottle of moonshine around. Tim tells me about his adventures in Alabama and about the $1 dollar special. $1 any hole.
Sunday
12:10 a.m. We finally go inside and Reece and everybody else is in there.
12:15 a.m. Somebody turns off Notorious B.I.G. and the lights come on, the party is over. We protest to no avail and decide to go to Guinness Tim’s house.


Sometime later arrive at Tim’s and drink more moonshine.
1:45 a.m. Arrive at Reece’s and finally crash. I can’t find my toothbrush. I’m bummed for the second time that night.
8:15 a.m. Wake up and Reece makes oatmeal.
9:45 a.m. Meet up with gallery owner to get the truck.
10:45 a.m. I’m at the gallery and almost done loading everything in the truck that I can do by myself. I wait for my GF’s brother and wife to show up to help me and in exchange I’m giving them 2 sculptures.
11:45 a.m. All the sculptures are loaded in the truck and I begin my 400 mile drive to Los Angeles.
11:58 a.m. Going over the bridges out of S.F. it’s a very beautiful day and I can see lots of sail boats and shipping boats on the water. I realize I’m kind of hung over.
12:01 p.m. I’m definitely hung over.
12:35 p.m. I decide that I will only eat lunch at a Taco Bell.
2:15 p.m. Finally get to a Taco Bell and eat 2 bean burritos, 2 gordita supremes with beans instead of meat, and a medium Mt. Dew. I don’t buy any other caffeine or snacks. I have a water bottle in the truck and some cashews.
2:16 p.m. - 4:34 p.m. Since I have eaten and filled the truck I have nothing else to worry about except when to pee. I have no Ipod. No laptop. No hands free phone thingy. Just me, the road, and occasionally going through the radio stations. I have many interesting thoughts on my life and remember feeling happy but, still a little hungover.
4:35 p.m. I get to the grapevine and found a really good classic rock station that’s playing Pink Floyd. I think about getting a bottle of Coke but, decide not to.
4:38 p.m. Lose the signal to the radio station.
6:15 p.m. In a concentrated daze with a slight electrical feeling in the back of my eyes I park a block from my apartment and turn off the engine. I'm very happy to be back in Los Angeles.

2 comments:

A said...

I think I've come across that station too! It's like an oasis of 70s caramel in the dead sea.

Tiny said...

Love that drive at night especially. My favorite radio for that stretch is radio bilingue. http://www.radiobilingue.org/