Wednesday, February 4, 2009

New Crazies On The Block

It looks like a string of violent robbery attacks have been happening in Silver Lake. Coblogger A and I both live within the vicinity of these attacks and I’m not really worried or scared because, it sounds like these hoodlums are gonna get caught and they’d be really fucking stupid and crazy to go up against the Silver Lake vigilante task force that I’m sure is now on patrol. This link takes you to a report of the attacks and an interview with a guy who was beaten two blocks from my house.

Silver Lake by the way is an umber-hipster neighborhood of Los Angeles and it’s kinda like Williamsburg and the Upper Eastside had a three way with a Philadelphia suburb and spawned Silver Lake. There’s actually a lake, a super stinky dog park, coffee shops, Trader Joes, Spaceland, and hipster families with strollers.

I didn’t know about these attacks until a few minutes ago and I did notice a few more cops than usual cruising around the TJs the other day. I'm sure the neighborhood is upset and everyone’s been talking about it but, since I’m usually on my bicycle or hiding out in my hot tub I didn’t know anything about it. My neighbors haven’t even been talking about. So I was wondering how this could have been happening under my nose for weeks and somebody just randomly emailed me about it?

It made me think about that thing that happened in Queens a long time ago when a woman was beaten and robbed in the middle of a housing project and nobody called the cops because, everyone assumed someone else would call the cops. I wonder if the internet is doing the same thing. Maybe everyone assumed everyone else knew what was up so word didn’t spread via the internet. And since we mainly use the internet to communicate and gossip we don't have those chances to meet up on the street corner and talk about this and that. Sometimes I feel like I’m on my own private little planet that’s revolving around a sun that glows at my fingertips. I can just be myself all day and still be connected to so many people. But, maybe this whole email, blog, twitter, whatever stuff isn’t really connecting us at all but, pushing us away from each other. The gravitation of ourlives does bring us together and sure we do connect via emails and evites and stuff but, maybe we are missing something these days. LABlogitude feels like a corner to gossip on but, it still takes a lot of time and energy for me to get over here sometimes. I wish I had a corner to gossip on like they did in Edward Scissorhands.

On a lighter side and still in true blog form, Yirko and I are gonna check out this Korean BBQ and Tofu Taco truck from the future coincidently in Silver Lake on Friday. . . We’ll see you on the corner shortly. ..

5 comments:

Tiny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A said...

Well, I'm guilty. Last night I was Tweeting about the homeless man urinating on the sidewalk rather than the intense fear that has apparently been gripping the neighborhood. Although, to my credit, I did notice that the fetish gear joint had a flyer up in their window about it.

Ben said...

Which fetish gear joint?

I think journalism is going to spiral down along with the econmy. When I looked for something on the LAtimes.com all i saw was a story on the county hiring a convicted rapist after firing him and then firing him again and a debate about yoga rooms in prisons. How ironic to think of someone robbing someone leaving Silver Lake Yoga and then doing yoga in prison. . .

liz said...

Is Kogi coming to your corner on Friday? Do let us know if it's worth the hype, have been v. curious!

Tiny said...

Liz, you better be there. Or they's going to be an 11th beating.