Thursday, November 13, 2008

Commuting by bicycle: The ups and downs

I commute everyday to work by bicycle here in Los Angeles. I’ve come to enjoy riding in Los Angeles even though it took me a few years to get use to the roads and drivers. You can bicycle about 365 days out of the year but, when it rains I get on the metro. Moisture, Los Angeles, and vehicles are basically a perfect storm for roadway stupidity and I’d rather be on a bus getting sideswiped by a mini van then on my bicycle. But, this article isn’t about rain or commuting it’s about just falling down.

This morning I was riding really fast on my way to work because, I was late, tired, and I was just trying to get some adrenaline going. When I get to work my energy is up, I’m slightly sweaty, and I get to change from one outfit to another. Anyways, so I’m hauling my literal ass and I always get to this intersection where I need to wait for a break in traffic. You have to be kind of aggressive at this spot or a break will never open up so I usually nose my way out so a car slows down and then jam on it. While I was “jamming on it” my back wheel slid out from under me on the run off of an over irrigated lawn, and I did a 180 and landed on my side. Blood flowed forth from my knee; my handlebars got tweaked a little. I checked everything out, looked fine and jumped back on my bike. The blood kept trickling down my leg and I was already planning on how I’d clean it up in the bathroom when I got to work.

Having an accident is one of the only things I worry about when I ride my bike, and getting traffic tickets. I know I could die. I know someone could pull in front of me and knock me off my bike yet, I love to do it. Falling today was kind of fun. It gave me a little perspective. Made me think I should replace that back tire with a new one and to watch it on the wet patches. It didn’t once make me think I should find a different way to go to work or give me any frustration. It just left me with that feeling that this is me, this is my life, and I love it even with the ups and downs.

Below is a movie of my injured leg. Kinda safe for work. . .


4 comments:

Tiny said...

Bummer about the handlebars. Cut looks good, but not as good as those modern office boots.

A said...

Sorry about your leg.Why do some people insist on overwatering their lawns?
Great post! I think riding the bus gives me much the same feeling:the ups and downs, the reminder of self reliance -- and the streets...

Ben said...

Y-Handlebars are fine just pushed the stem around but, i fixed it. The boots are new and I love them.

A-The worse is when you see a broken sprinkler and it's just spewing water up in the air like a sad mini geyser.

A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.