Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Counted

This salty little heart of mine is rarely moved by presidential elections. With each go around, I simply fear that more of the life that I love will be chipped away from me and my tribe. So it caught me off guard that on my way from the Valley into the Rampart Division, to my polling place, I wept on hearing the news of record turnouts, long lines, expectant first time voters and the general excitement around the election.

I cried when I arrived at the charter school and saw the proud, excited, waddling people of many races who were eager to check in and vote, or who were strutting away bearing the I Voted sticker . I am always awed by the volunteers who thanklessly and dutifully staff these "democracy" stations, but tonight in particular, the poll workers made sure that anyone who could vote would vote. A Filipino couple gratefully and happily accepted a provisional ballot. A Chinese mother, barely able to speak English, was shepherded through the process by her 7 year old son. A first time voter expressed her nervousness about the process.

We are raised to know that he who has the most money, not only wins, but also has the loudest voice. I choked back many many tears at the polling place, bearing witness to something I probably will not see again in my life time. I was overwhelmed by the number of people who decided that, whether their team wins or loses; whether or not the electric bill gets paid; whether or not they will be among those who will keep their jobs; just for today, because it is their right, they will be heard, and they will be counted.

5 comments:

Tara said...

It was truly beautiful here too, and I found myself relishing being in line at my polling place, though I had just brought my absentee ballot to hand in. I stood in line for a little while anyway, just to soak it up. I think there is every chance greater numbers of people will continue to show up in subsequent elections.

A said...

Looks like they had the kool aid at your polling place too!

Tiny said...

Oh yeah, I was beer bonging it on my way over.

Ben said...

This is what democracy looks like!!

Teacher X Tells all said...

I went to a big gay party/rally at the Music Box Theater last night. It was overwhelming to hear all of the gays cheer when CNN called the election.

Later, the emotion was palpable as we listened to Obama's speech. People screamed at the top of their lungs when there was a pause, but you could hear a pin drop when he started talking again.

And when Obama mentioned gays and lesbians I almost ejaculated.

It brought back fond memories of Bill Clinton's election: We danced in the streets of West Hollywood singing "We're in the Army now."

Hopefully it isn't 16 years till our next celebration.