Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Yirko in Chains

You ever hear about Banana Republic? No? Are you visiting from Borneo or something? How about Chow King? Google it.

You don't have to love chain stores to live in Los Angeles, I know this though - my love of the chain has only enhanced my experience on this little patch of hard baked earth. All Angelenos owe their existence to two great beings 1) William Mulholland - the guy who engineered the great water theft of the west - and 2) Land Developers who generously bring us easily accessible, fondly familiar retail chain businesses with plenty of free parking. God bless you all.

Tonight, my coworker and I are going to Banana Republic and H&M at the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica. It's an open air mall that creates a controlled downtown feel. Whether or not it's successful at this doesn't matter to me - it has a Gap and a Barnes and Noble and blocks and blocks of free multi-level parking.

We will first nourish ourselves at Chow King in Van Nuys. It's a chain and it's brilliant. Look it up. You should only be so lucky to have one in your state.

I'll let you know more later.

In the meantime, have a Pinkberry for me.

5 comments:

A said...

beautiful. was it banana that we were thinking was so special in century city?

Tiny said...

I am remembering a restaurant of note.

A said...

ah...perhaps Rock Sugar? It's the Pan Asian version of The Cheesecake Factory.

Tara said...

OH MY LAMB I have never heard of Rock Sugar and now I shall think of little else.
I do not share your enthusiasm for chains, with the exception of:
99 Ranch
Whole Foods
H&M
Target
Walgreen's

Wait maybe that does make me an enthusiast?

Tiny said...

That's a lot of chains you exclude from your Do Not Chain List.